BHGC Club History
Batchwood Hall Golf Club has a proud heritage dating back to the mid‑1930s.
From its origins as a new municipal course to its development into a thriving, community‑focused club,
the story of BHGC is closely tied to the history of Batchwood Hall and the city of St Albans.
A Glimpse Through the Years


These images capture Batchwood Hall and Club history.
Historical Timeline
- 1935: Club founded; St Albans Council purchases Batchwood Hall and estate
- 1936: Course opens; temporary Committee formed
- 1936: First Committee meeting held (20 December)
- 1937: First AGM; Mayor becomes Club President
- Late 1980s: Club relocates from Batchwood Hall to new Club House site
- 2001: Equal Opportunity membership structure introduced
- 2011: Fire destroys Club House and sports facilities
- 2013: New Club House completed
Founding of the Club
The Club was founded in 1935 in anticipation of the course opening in 1936.
St Albans Council purchased Batchwood Hall and the surrounding land in 1935
with the intention of creating a public golf course and restaurant.
J. H. Taylor, five‑time Open Champion and the first Englishman to win the Open,
was engaged to design the course. It is very likely that Samuel Ryder — of Ryder Cup fame
and former Mayor of St Albans — influenced the Council’s decision, as the two men knew each other well.
Taylor captained the winning Ryder Cup team in 1933, and the 18‑hole course he designed at Batchwood
was widely regarded as one of the finest municipal courses in southern England.
Early Club Development
A temporary Committee was formed in late 1936 when play began on the course.
The first recorded Committee meeting took place on 20th December 1936,
during which approval was given to join the Hertfordshire Golf Union for the sum of two guineas.
At the first Annual General Meeting, attended by 45 Members and season ticket holders,
a letter from the Mayor expressing his willingness to serve as President was read and accepted “with acclamation”.
Until 2012, the incumbent Mayor of St Albans always served as President of the Club.
Facilities and Membership Growth
Over the years, the Golf Club occupied various rooms within Batchwood Hall to meet the needs of a growing membership.
Records from the pre‑war years show a strong Ladies’ section, evidenced by requests for improved facilities
and a resolution allowing Ladies to receive full handicap difference when competing against men in knockout events.
The Club remained in Batchwood Hall until the late 1980s, when the Tennis Centre was built
and plans were made to convert the Hall into a nightclub. The Club leased land next to the Tennis Centre,
and Members raised funds to build a dedicated Club House.
A Turning Point
In August 2011, the Golf & Tennis Centre, the Golf Club House and the Bowls Club
were destroyed by a major fire believed to have been started deliberately.
A new Club House was expected to be completed in mid‑August 2013.
Modern Developments
In 2001, the Club adopted “Equal Opportunity” status by removing gender and age distinctions.
Membership categories were instead based on preferred playing days — midweek or weekend —
with equal voting rights for all.
Notable Golfers
Batchwood has long been a stepping stone for Hertfordshire golfers. Notable players include:
- Peter Townsend — Walker Cup and Ryder Cup representative
- David Tapping — European Tour professional with top‑10 finishes in major events
- Carl Duke — England amateur honours in the early 1990s
- Luke Colgate — England School Boys representative; holds the course record with a 65
National Competitions
As an active member of the National Association of Public Golf Courses, the Club has enjoyed success in national events:
- 1986: Men’s team champions
- 1998 & 2005: Mixed team champions
- 2004: Ladies’ team runners‑up
- 2010: Men’s Seniors runners‑up
